10 Facts You Didn't Know About Love Actually
- The airport greeting scenes at the beginning and end of the movie are real. Director Richard Curtis had his cameramen film at Heathrow airport for a week to get the footage.
- Curtis originally wrote two different scripts for Hugh Grant and Colin Firth’s characters and then decided to merge the two into one movie with multiple entangled story-lines centered on the subject of love.
- The lake that Lucia Moniz (Aurelia) and Colin Firth (Jamie) jump into was only 18 inches deep so they had to kneel down and pretend to be in deeper water. Colin Firth had to go to the hospital after he got bit by a mosquito in the process and his elbow swelled up to the size of an avocado.
- Kris Marshall (Colin) returned his paycheck for the scene where the three American blondes undress him. He said he had such a great time having three girls undress him for twenty-one takes that he was willing to do it for free, and thus returned his check for that day.
- When director Richard Curtis was in college, his girlfriend left him for a man named Bernard. As a literary form of revenge, Curtis writes an unpopular character named Bernard into each of his screenplays. In Love Actually, Bernard is Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman’s “horrid son.”
- In an interview with VH1, Elisha Cuthbert revealed that Claudia Schiffer was never supposed to be in the film. “If I’m not mistaken, Richard Curtis wanted to have someone who looks like [Schiffer] and couldn’t find anyone that was right, and then actually ended up calling her and getting her."
- If you watch closely, Liam Neeson often has a toothpick in his mouth. That's because he had just quit smoking and was using toothpicks as a substitute for cigarettes.
- The actress who played Joanna (Sam's crush), Olivia Olson was so good at singing "All I Want for Christmas is You" that the audio department had to purposely edit the song so it would sound flawed and like a real young girl sang it.
- A staple of holiday broadcast lineups, when ABC Family airs the film, the entire plot of John and Judy (the porn stars) is completely cut. But even with that cut, it still runs 3 hours with commercials.
- The word "actually" is actually spoken 22 times in the movie
Credit: WhoWhatWear, Daily Beast, Bustle, Universal Pictures